I have had severe asthma and allergies since birth. I also have multiple chemical sensitivity and cannot tolerate many common chemicals. I am especially reactive to pesticides. I needed to be in a healthy environment and could not find a house that was workable for me. So I designed and built a house on 22 acres using materials and methods that were 100% non toxic. The results have been successful and my health has steadily continued to improve. The Austin air filter was the clear #1 choice for our filtration system. Living in the house has proved it to be right.
The whole house was built with the goal of having a safe place with 100% clean air. This required not introducing any allergens, toxic chemicals, pesticides, mold, or offgassing materials that could negatively affect my health. This required hundreds of hours of research into materials and understanding every aspect of the construction process.
Here are the reasons why I chose the Austin Air Health Mate
1.Whole house system vs. freestanding Austin Air unit.
Whole house systems are often electrostatic precipitators. The filters have a static charge that attracts dust to the surface. As they get filled up and become saturated they are less effective. They do not have the filtration capacity of HEPA filters
Using a HEPA filter on the return air intakes of the whole house heating/AC system would restrict the airflow. The dense pleated accordion shape creates strong air resistance that can strain the motor of an air handler, leading to premature failure of the compressor.
Whole house systems that do have carbon filtration use a thin carbon impregnated media rather than solid or granular carbon making their absorbtion capacity far inferior to the Austin Air. They also require frequent changes to be effective , a big expense. I needed the ability to filter chemicals, smoke, gases more effectively than was possible with the carbon filters used by a whole house system.
2. HEPA filtration (high energy particulate accumulator) was developed by NASA and is the gold standard in removing particles. It removes 99.97% of particles larger than .3 microns and 95% of particles larger than .1 microns.
Many other filters use glues in their HEPA filters. They may be bonded with polyvinyl acetate, plastic or other resin binders, The outgassing from the filter itself may cause reactions. Austin Air uses no glues. The true medical grade HEPA filters used in the Austin Air were the highest quality available.
3. Carbon filtration is the part of the filter necessary to remove chemicals, gases, smoke. Charcoal filters are made from coconut shell, wood, or coal, and have a pitted surface that absorbs gases. The amount of carbon is directly related to the amount of gases absorbed. .They are effective at removing high molecular weight gases including benzene, phenol, toulene, acetone, solvents, paint, perfumes and pet odors. Coconut carbon is often more tolerable to chemically sensitive people than carbon made from coal . If carbon filters are not properly replaced they may release their contaminants back into the air. Typical replacement time is six months . Austin Air uses coconut shell and zeolite mined in the US. It has a long life carbon filter due to the large volume of filtration material. The carbon filters made by Austin Air were most effective for chemicals.
4.Ozone is a respiratory irritant. Most electrostatic precipitators filters produce ozone which is toxic. Austin Air produces no ozone
The Food and Drug Administration states:
“Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema.”
5. Cost. Many filtration systems were far more expensive than the Austin Air and were not nearly as effective. The 5 year filter replacement is a big saving and simple to do. Having to replace filters frequently can be a big expense over time.Most filters did not have the combination of HEPA and adequate carbon filtration. None had this level of quality for this price. . The value for the money with Austin Air was a huge plus.
6. Quality control. Made in Buffalo NY since 1990, all the materials used have US quality control. Out sourcing can lead to using different materials and manufacturing processes over time. With chemical sensitivity concerns, overseas shipping can expose products to fumigation requirements. You absolutely know what you are getting with Austin Air. They are in one location with reliable high standards and personal customer service
7. The Austin Air can very quickly clear a room on high. The freestanding units can be moved where needed. It removes the total range of contaminants. When we had days of wildfires that reduced visibility outside, the air quality inside was fine.
I have an Austin Air Health Mate for each section of my house and have had outstanding results over many years.
I get very excited about my Austin air filters because I feel that they have improved my health so much. I have seen so many other people benefit from using them that I hope you will be able to create the healthy environment you want too. Austin Air truly does mean clean air.